If you live in the general area, you will be hard pushed not to have seen one of the many signs advertising this year’s White Horse Show. What you may not know, is that it is our very own Ed Preece, who along with many others is tasked with the organisation of this annual event.
Ed is a great example of the phrase, “If you want something done, ask someone who is busy!” As well as running Waymark with wife and co-director Jenny, and supporting , their twin girls and wider family of three dogs, chickens, ducks and a new kitten, Ed is Chairman of the Organising Committee of the Show, working with many other volunteers on what is one of the largest outdoor shows in the country.
Held over the August Bank Holiday Sunday and Monday (27th and 28th August) and running for over 45 years, the Show attracts thousands of visitors each year. Those who make the show such a standout event in the local calendar is the army of willing volunteers (although Ed says, there is always room for more) who coordinate, cajole and generally make sure everything will run smoothly.
This year has seen over 70 small businesses and charities register online to exhibit everything from handmade jewellery to rescued reptiles! All of these organisations require their ‘pitch’ to be prepared with display tables, chairs, and light and power. It is no small feat given that only days before the opening, there is nothing but open fields.
The 20 acres of showground and ample free parking can be found between Uffington and Fawler by searching on OX12 9QJ. Tickets are £12 for adults and £4 for children (four and under are free).
There will be a range of skills on show including the Kidderridge Gun Dog Display, freestyle mountain biking from ‘Savage Skills’, Bolddogs Lings FMX Team (as seen on CBBC) along with the more traditional Heavy Horses on display. Weather permitting, there will be the Lauren Richardson Aerobatic Display on Sunday and we are keeping fingers crossed that although the Battle of Britain display is currently grounded, we are hoping that two Spitfires will put in an appearance.
The showground has been split into a number of ‘zones’ so that all similar interests are in one convenient location.
Starting with the Animal & Rural Skills Zone, this year the Dog Show is being organised by the Newbury branch of the Animal Welfare Trust, where on the day, you will be able to bring along and enter your own dog for various events. Farms 4 Ewe have brought along a selection of favourite farm animals and Millets Farm Falconry are allowing you to get up close to Oxfordshire’s largest collection of birds of prey.
Moving into the Retro Zone and you will see vintage motorbikes on Sunday followed by classic cars on Sunday with historic tractors on both days. There are static and steam engines, blacksmith demonstrations along with American Civil War activities delivered by the Kennesaw Confederates.
This year’s Kids Zone is the largest ever and includes Prof Crump - a popular and very tall entertainer, Punch & Judy, Cheeky Monkeys, Juggling John, children's tent and play area courtesy of Annabelle's Nursery, go-karts and the renowned Hebborns Fun Fair!
There is music from the Wantage Silver Band by the tea rooms and on Sunday, the Ukey Dukes will be by the beer tent. They will be a selection of foods including fish & chips, burgers, sausages, pizza, tacos and ice creams. UK Bars will be supplying the beverages and there will be a prosecco bar with our very own White Horse Show cocktails!
The White Horse Show is the perfect opportunity to support your community and get involved with the people and crafts that make the Vale of the White Horse such an interesting place to live and work.
So don’t spend your August Bank Holiday travelling miles in the car but come and see the best that your local area has to offer.
Further details can be found on the White Horse Show website.
Other General Blog Posts
- The Perennial Property Dilemma
- Simeon Spencer Joins Waymark
- General Data Protection Regulations - GDPR and Waymark
- How Rightmove has Changed Asking Prices
- Development Opportunity, Highworth, SN6 7QQ
- Goodbye 2017 and Hello 2018! This Year's Property Predictions
- Online & On the High Street – Waymark is the Best of Both Worlds!
- Housing Autumn Budget 2017
- The White Horse Show 2017 - And What a Show It Was!
- Waymark Property and the 2017 White Horse Show
- Getting the most out of the Vale of the White Horse Countryside
- The Eurovision House Contest 2017
- New Railway Station for The Vale of the White Horse
- New Homes Versus Second Hand - A Prices & Transactions Comparison
- Property Pricing Expectation v Reality and the Impact of Over Valuing
- National Trust’s Uffington White Horse April Fool!
- March 2017’s Budget and Property Impact
- Is This The Future of Property Viewing?
- What do People Find Frustrating About Estate Agents?
- Choosing a Solicitor or a Conveyancer
- 8 Top Tips For Your Moving Day
- Mark Scobey Joins the Team at Waymark
- Building Insurance For Your Home – Is Your Sum-Insured Figure Correct?
- New Year. New Market. New Property Blog!