Clanfield is a village and civil parish about four miles north of Faringdon. The parish includes the hamlet of Little Clanfield which is one mile west where the Little Clanfield Brook forms the parish’s western boundary. To the east is Black Bourton Brook and its southern boundary is Radcot Cut, an artificial watercourse on the River Thames floodplain.
The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 879 spread across approximately 380 residential properties and the main roads of Clanfield are faced by many traditional Cotswold Stone homes.
The village church of Saint Stephen has a selection of architectural features that date the church to about 1200 AD. The church has four lancet windows dating from late in the 12th century or early in the 13th century. Gothic windows to the east and south are likely to have been added around 1350 AD. The style of the bell tower suggests it was built either in the 14th century. In the 15th century a large statue of St Stephen was added to the outside of the tower.
Friars Court has been home to the Willmer family since 1917. The current Cotswold stone farmhouse has stood on its moated site, close to the River Thames, for over 300 years.
There have been buildings on the site since 1149 and the grounds of Friars Court can be visited during the summer months. The house is also available for private functions.
Clanfield Primary school was built in 1873 by Henry Newman, a local parishioner. It continues to be at the heart of the community. In 1991 the school was extended and now contains three classrooms in the main building, a spare room for group teaching and our assemblies, staffroom and offices. The school stands in well-maintained grounds and contains a playground, wildflower meadow and a large games field.
Clanfield has two excellent public houses. The Clanfield Tavern and The Cotswold Plough which is also a hotel, both come highly recommended with excellent choices of locally sourced food and drink.