Given that Waymark’s second office is opening in Faringdon this month, it makes sense to take a look at the some of the facts, figures, sites and attractions that makes Faringdon such a great place to live and work.
One thing is for certain, it has certainly changed since this picture was taken!
As the town signs denote, Faringdon is a historic market town set in the Vale of the White Horse and on the fringe of the Cotswolds. The town is midway between Oxford and Swindon, approximately 10 miles northwest of Wantage. The civil parish is formally called Great Faringdon, to distinguish it from Little Faringdon in West Oxfordshire. The 2011 Census recorded its population at just over 7,100 people.
All Saints Church
All Saints has a central bell tower, which was reduced in height in 1645 after it was damaged by a cannonball in the English Civil War. Faringdon was apparently fought over because it sits on the road to the Radcot Bridge over the River Thames. The tower has a ring of eight bells with the three oldest bells being cast in 1708.
The churchyard is reportedly haunted by the headless apparition of naval officer Hampden Pye. According to local legend, Pye was decapitated in a battlefield explosion while fighting in the War of the Spanish Succession after being convinced to enlist by his mother who sought to separate him from a local girl she considered an unsuitable match.
Just east of the town, the folly on Folly Hill was designed by Lord Gerald Wellesley for Lord Berners and built in 1935. It is 43 m high with panoramic views of the Vale of White Horse. It once had a sign saying "Members of the public committing suicide from this tower do so at their own risk". During the Second World War the Home Guard used it as an observation post. In 1982 Robert Heber-Percy restored it and gave it to the town in trust. It has been a Grade II listed building since 1986’
Faringdon House is a Grade I listed house in Faringdon, Oxfordshire, England. It was built between 1770 - 85 for the Poet Laureate Sir Henry James Pye.
It was the country home of Lord Berners, who inherited it in 1918 and moved in in 1931, along with his companion, Robert Heber-Percy. Lord Berners died in 1950, and Heber-Percy inherited the house.
Known locally as ‘Badbury Clump’, Badbury Hill overlooks the Vale of the White Horse to the south and a long stretch of low lying ground to the north west. It is a favourite place for walkers and their dogs. In May, the bluebells are beautiful, and the woods attract a large number of visitors.
Buscot Park is the family home of Lord Faringdon, who looks after the property on behalf of the National Trust, as well as the family collection of pictures, furniture, ceramics and various artistic pieces known as the Faringdon Collection, which is displayed in the house.
Built between 1780 and 1783 for a local landowner, Edward Loveden Townsend, the estate was purchased in 1889 by Lord Faringdon’s great-grandfather, Alexander Henderson who in 1916 was created the 1st Lord Faringdon.
There is certainly plenty to do and see in and around Faringdon. The team at Waymark are looking forward to being an integral part of Faringdon life so if you are passing, drop in and say “Hello”!