Shrivenham is a large village and civil parish in the Vale of the White House and situated approximately five miles southwest of Faringdon and is only three miles from the Wiltshire border separated by the river Cole. It is believed that there has been a settlement at Shrivenham since 400BC or Scrivenham as it was known in the Domesday Book.The current population is around 2,400 and properties vary greatly from thatched cottages to brand new developments and everything inbetween.
The Beckett Estate was a 17th century country estate, which, at the end of World War II, was the US army’s information and education branch, being one of only two compasses outside of mainland USA.
The village and neighbouring Watchfield have retained their military ties as the Defence College of Management and Training now resides on the Beckett Estate providing experienced officer training to the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force
St Andrew's church is impressively large for a small village, with parts dating back to the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries. Its many unusual features include the central tower, 18 large clear windows, Tuscan-like tapering columns, magnificent brass chandeliers and hanging pyx. There are many memorials to the Barrington family, important landowners locally in previous generations.
Shrivenham possesses one of the finest village halls in the county, the Memorial Hall, presented by Charlotte, Countess Barrington and opened by Princess Beatrice in 1925 as a memorial to villagers killed in the First World War. Six houses for ex-servicemen border the adjoining recreation ground, which is large enough for a football pitch, cricket pitch, and three all-weather tennis courts.
The current high street has a great mix of public houses, restaurants, convenience stores and boutique, specialist shops. There is a local primary school and Pinewood independent School is only three miles way in Bourton.